Sunday, May 12, 2024

Cross Country May 2024



I’m currently driving from Washington DC to North Cascades National Park on the Canadian border in Washington state. This is my second summer volunteering for the national park service. Last week I started the journey at Seneca Rocks West Virginia, after providing a natural history program for the rock climbing guides at the Seneca Rocks climbing school. After more than a week of travel I’ll reach my summer volunteer assignment. Driving through the Midwest I was careful to avoid areas experiencing recent tornadoes. Once further West, I was able visit Death Valley, Canyon de Chelly, the Mt. Whitney region and Mt. Shasta. 

I’ve passed through 20 different eco-regions from east to west. Happy to report that the Sierras and Death Valley look good after a season of late snowfall and even some rain. This is in addition to the hurricane that passed over Death Valley last year. The floral diversity at the mid elevations of Death Valley is remarkable with many herbaceous angiosperms and full bloom. I also had the opportunity to visit the absolutely stunning Lake Tahoe for the second time. A lake of this magnitude in such a location is nearly unparalleled in the world. The backdrop of the northern Sierras to the west of the lake makes for a fascinating and beautiful place to visit. Onto Bend, Oregon to visit with family and visit the notable volcanic Tuff formations at Smith Rock State Park.



No comments: